Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Woven Delights From Blue Loom Designs


This is another post to showcase the creativity and talent of members of Potomac Craftsment Fiber Gallery.

Today, I would like to introduce Ruth Blau and Blue Loom Designs. I have known Ruth for the past five years since I joined the gallery, and have always found myself gravitating towards anything made by her when I gallery sit. As soon as I have finished all the details of opening the gallery on my day, I head towards the beautiful handwoven scarf display. Inevitably, the first scarf I reach for is one of Ruth's. Her sense of color in the handpainted warps and impeccable weaving skill is something I can only dream of being able to do. Then as I look around the gallery at the wearable pieces, jewelry and handbags, I continue to find more of Ruth's handiwork. Many days, I stand there astonished at the number of different techniques she does so well including kumihimo and inkle weaving. She often shares her knowledge and once gave a talk about fiber identification to our beginning weaving study group. I learned a great deal that day and appreciate her interest in educating us. I hope you will take a look at her website to see her beautiful creations and if you are ever in the Washington, DC area, will take the time to visit our gallery.

No comments: